Friday, October 22, 2010

Another Update and a teaching lesson for y'all

 Monday it is!! Most people dread Mondays. I am not alone on that, unless its my day off during my busy time at work, or I have exciting plans, or I'm one step closer to getting pregnant. Well, that's this Monday!!! Only a couple of days away, and I am scheduled bright and early for my egg retrieval. What is that? Well, there is a video to show you below, but basically they go in, with a tiny needle, and take out the eggs out of my follicles. After today's update we still have 10 really good ones, and smaller ones right there as well. My u/s technician took a guess today at how many eggs we might get. She said 12 plus or minus a few. How exciting!!!

So what happens on Monday when they take away my eggs. Well, they take Mr. W's sperm and fertilize them! Now, some people leave it to chance. Introduce the sperm and the egg, and and let nature take its course. We do not have that option. Not only does Mr. W have a low number of swimmers, some of them are drunk. Not really, but about half of the low number he does have, are not moving or abnormally shaped (square head instead of round) or more than one tail. Just not what we're looking for. So, to avoid the risk of the eggs not fertilizing, or fertilzing with abnormal sperm and then having the embryo not make it, they will be doing a process called ICSI. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection. They actually take a needle and insert one tiny perfect, round head, one tailed sperm into my egg. It is also showed in the video below! This will happen on Monday as well. Mr. W will give his sample, they will take my eggs, and then they will do some embryo making! We should hear on Tuesday how they are doing for our first fertilization report. Then we may be getting one or two of our embryos transferred back in either 3 or 5 days after. So, Thursday or Saturday. To say that I'm excited is an understatement. Mr. W is more on the cautiously optimistic side. Can't say I blame him.

So without further hesitation, here it all is in animated video. It is only about 3 minutes long.  I could explain it you all day, but then again, a picture is worth a thousand words. Video here

2 comments: